SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, February 18, 2011

The Green Hornet

I watched The Green Hornet with my family last Sunday. I’ve heard so much of the movie, and since Jay Chou is acting in it, I persuaded my family to watch it. Having watched Jay Chou’s movie; Secret, I thought this movie will be just as cool and amazing.

But I was wrong. It is a typical of an American movie, and Jay Chou was the only selling factor in it. Really really is. I wouldn't have watched this movie if Jay was not in it. However, I’m kinda disappointed that Jay Chou acted in this movie, since he’s the idol of many young kids all over Asia.



I don’t know how the original Green Hornet is, but this Green Hornet is surely not a hero to me. The gadgets, the cars that Kato (Jay) modified are cool. But, I don’t find much moral in the movie. In a car chase with the police, they destroyed the police car. And if that was real, I’m sure the body of the policeman driving can’t even be recognized. It was too violent. And they were proud of it, and find the car chasing cool.

Why did I say it’s a typical of American movie? Simply because there were just too many destructions. How many American movies do you know that involves car crashes, buildings destruction and people being killed? There are too many… Look at “Drive Angry”, “The House of Wax”, “Alien vs Predator” and “ Anaconda”, just to name a few. All of them involve too much of violence. A western horror movie is more violent than it is horrifying, while a Japanese horror movie is much more horrifying that I get a post-Japanese horror syndrome; not being able to sleep alone for a few days.



While writing this post, I stumbled upon an interesting research, done in 2000. It’s a research to evaluate the seriousness and frequeny of violence and the injury in 100 American films of 1994.

And the conclusion was:

Violent force in American films of 1994 was overwhelmingly intentional and in 4 of 5 cases was executed at levels likely to cause significant bodily injury.

Not only action films but movies of all genres contained scenes in which the intensity of the action was not matched by correspondingly severe injury consequences.

Many American films, regardless of genre, tend to minimize the consequences of violence to human beings.


And according to that study, the violence has already become a social debate. The injuries caused by all these violence in movies were depicted to be very minimal, justified and the violent actions go unpunished. Study source: Pub Med Central. (I forgot how am I supposed to write a proper reference format for a journal)

Same goes to this Green Hornet movie. All the violence go unpunished, they killed policemen, they killed gangsters violently, they crash into the building lift by car, crashed into the office, threw themselves together with the car out of the window, and many other scenes.
One of the actors I admired the most will be Jackie Chan. His movies come with moral, and less violence. I hope Jay Chou choose better movies next time. Not something too violent like this. Perhaps he should well stop acting in Hollywood movies.


p/s: I remembered that one of my friends actually threatened to throw me out of the library window, and we were on the 3rd floor. :p

-AkMaR-
http://nur-akmar.blogspot.com

Post a Comment